Thursday, June 14, 2012

Oh...hi there.

My children haven't killed me yet.

Unless you count trying to run me literally into the ground with activities and questions and arguments.

But there is a light at the end of the tunnel: My husband says that this long turnaround nightmare should be over tomorrow night. I mean, it's not really over, but the working 50,000 days/nights in a row without a break will be over. He will return to his usual day shift and will have two days off a week!

That's what he's telling me, anyway. I will believe it when I see it, y'all.

In between the drop-offs/pick-ups at summer Tech Apps, the never-ending recital rehearsals, the camp drop-offs/pick-ups, the "Mom-can-x, y, and z-spend the night" questions, the house cleaning, the laundry (OMG, it seems like it has doubled in size and intensity -- summer sweat + two pubescent children = Me. Dead.), the cooking meals, and the $1,000 repair on the car a/c, I have still been running.

Oh yes, I have.

How do you think I've lasted this long without running away/drinking heavily/ending up in the loony bin?

I'm running 8 miles a day, five days a week, and then a long run of 10-12 miles on Saturday (that will be bumped up to 15-20 soon with a marathon looming in November). With Russ working so much, that 90 minutes is pretty much the only alone time I have (I can't even escape questions/arguments when I go to the bathroom; someone inevitably needs me right that second and knocks on the door) and I treasure it.

I need it.

I love the ache in my calves. I love the sweat that gathers between my collarbones. I take pride in the very definite tan line where my ankles meet my socks.

It's easy to run when our routine is rocking along, when there's not a lot going on. I enjoy those runs.

But the runs I have to plan? The runs that I have to grab when I can? The runs I knock out in between a drop-off and a pick-up?

Priceless and worth every ounce of planning to get there.





No comments:

Post a Comment