So this weekend, I bought...
Some of these...
Some of these...
And one of these...
Yep, I have plantar fascitis. A week or so ago, I felt some bruising on the side of my left heel. I thought that's what it was...a bruise. When I didn't see anything and it didn't go away, I started doing some research. My sister-in-law, who is a physical therapist, was in town this past weekend, and I talked to her about it.
Yep. Pretty much textbook.
The culprit? Well, I'm sure pounding the pavement seven days a week doesn't help. But also? I ran in the same pair of shoes for almost 500 miles. I didn't mean to, and the crazy thing is that I had a new pair of running shoes just waiting for me in my closet. But I've been busy, and since I didn't run much that week we were on vacation, I didn't think I'd be close to 500 miles.
Luckily, the treatment for plantar fascitis isn't too difficult. I Googled and found some exercises I can do (picking up marbles with my toes is one; rolling a tennis ball on the bottom of my foot is another). I also bought a splint to wear at night while I'm sleeping. It keeps my foot in a slight upward position to stretch out that ligament on the bottom of my foot. I slept OK with it on for most of last night, although around 4 a.m., I took it off because it was bothering me too much.
Another thing you're supposed to do when suffering with plantar fascitis is rest. You all know how I feel about that, so that will be my last-ditch effort if it doesn't improve.
No comments:
Post a Comment