Sunday, October 31, 2010

Keep it simple; I'm stupid

Way back when, I realized that if I were going to have any success with this running thing, I needed to keep it as simple as possible.

If I had to stop and think about what I was doing -- what I really was doing -- then I'd realize how ludicrous it was -- what, me running? -- and go back to bed or back to sitting on my ass on the couch.

So I wore the same running clothes, all week long, and would wash them on Sunday afternoons. I kept them out where I could find them easily. Again, if I had to stop to look for something, I'd take that as a good excuse not to run.

I ran every single day, even though everything I read said I needed an "off day." No, I didn't need an "off day." If I didn't run one day, then the odds of my running the next day were nonexistent.

This time around, I'm following a similar formula, with some tweaks to accommodate my changing lifestyle.

I don't wear the same sweaty clothes every day, but that's only because my laundry load has increased immensely. My daughter was much younger when I did this the first time, and I guess she didn't change clothes as much or something. I wash a load of clothes every single night, so I just throw in my running clothes while I'm at it.

I don't run in the morning...yet. I used to get up at 5 a.m. and run. I could finish a run (I went from 3 miles to 5 daily) in 30-45 minutes, then I'd shower, eat breakfast and be ready to wake up the kids. Currently, I'm running at night. I don't know if it's because I'm that much older or what, but morning running just isn't my thing anymore. That may change, but right now, I'm sticking with the nighttime runs.

In my heyday, I ran during my lunch hour at work. I am working toward doing that again. I won't be able to do it as much as I did previously. I am now the boss at work, so I do have more responsibilities (meetings) and my day is much choppier than it was. I am going to plan to run twice a week at work. I can manage that. I'll do more when it's possible.

Music. Back then, I HAD to have it. If my iPod wasn't charged or something and I had to run without it, I was a mess. Now...I appreciate the quiet sometimes. I don't need something bombarding my brain constantly. Again, I think this is age-related. I'll be yelling about my kids' music being too loud soon, I'm sure.

Mostly, I just want to run. I want to run like I've never wanted to before. I'm in that "romantic" stage, where all I do is think about the next time I'll be able to run, and if I can fit in a quickie tonight before the Halloween festivities begin.

I think that's a good sign. I remember in my early days the last time around, where I'd literally pace from my cubicle to the window, worried that it was going to rain before I could get home and run.

The yearning is there, so this should be easy... HA.

No comments:

Post a Comment