I swallowed a bug Monday evening during my run.
I was elated.
In my book, the first bug-swallow of the year means that spring is just around the corner.
And I need spring in the worst way.
"We all grow better in sunshine and love." -- straight from Mother Teresa, so you know it's a fact.
---
My Katie-Bug needs new jeans. She's a growing girl.
Last weekend, she accidentally put her brother's jeans on to go out to play. They were a little big on her, but otherwise, they fit fine.
So she told me yesterday morning that she could just wear her brother's old jeans instead of getting new ones. I told her that boys' jeans are made differently than girls' jeans because girls have a defined waist and boys don't.
She didn't understand.
So I pulled up my t-shirt a bit to show her how my waist was different than my hips.
"Oh, Mama. What happened to you?"
I thought that maybe she had caught a glimpse of the scars and scabs on my hip where my iPod digs into my skin during runs. Nope.
Stretch marks. My motherhood badges of honor. My daily reminders of where I've been and where I am not going back.
---
Katie is 10.
She and I have been able to wear each other's shirts for months now. Her foot is a size and a half bigger than mine. She is my height. I outweigh her by 10 pounds or so.
She is tall, thin and amazingly beautiful. She is ten.
I have been worried about what is going on in that curly-haired head of hers as we get closer and closer to the same size. Girlie has years of growing ahead of her, and I knew the inevitable day would come when she was taller than me and possibly a little heavier than me.
But what is she thinking about this?
This morning, I found out.
"Mama, you're a little person," she began.
I waited to see where she was going with this.
"It's in your blood," she finished. "I'm a big person, like Daddy. I'm tall and my bones are big."
Still waiting...
"That's why we're almost the same size. It's our genes."
Turns out I didn't need to worry, did I? My girl figured it out on her own.
No comments:
Post a Comment