Earlier this week, my kids went to their bedrooms to read at 8 p.m., and went to sleep at 9. My husband, who isn't feeling well, went to bed to read at the same time, and probably fell asleep within 20 minutes.
I watched the new episode of "Dexter," and then I sat in the recliner, made some homemade peanut butter cups, watched some mindless TV show and enjoyed the silence until 11 p.m.
Yes, that's right: 11 p.m.
I'm switching to running nights most days, at least through the winter months. I'm a night owl by nature -- actually, I'm a person who doesn't need much sleep by nature -- and I am also a person who needs some time alone.
My usual run schedule of getting up at 4:30 a.m., really only left me with 30 minutes of alone time, after the run and shower. And it really wasn't even what I consider "alone time" because I spent most of it making my breakfast, eating my breakfast and quickly doing some things around the house before it was time to wake up the kids.
So I looked at my life and I looked at my self, and I decided to give into my nature and run at night. A run's a run, right? Doesn't matter when you get it done, as long as it is done!
---
Rationally, I know that the fact that at age 40 I have finished two marathons is a pretty good accomplishment. For someone who hasn't been a lifelong runner, that's pretty awesome.
But secretly, deep inside myself, I've been disappointed in my time at the San Antonio Rock N Roll Marathon. Very disappointed.
I kept telling myself that it was the heat, the heat, the heat. But that little voice (why is there always a little voice?) kept saying, "What if it's just that you're not good enough? Maybe you should just give up running altogether."
And as the days get colder and my life gets busier, it's been difficult not to give in to that little voice. Every run I've had since the marathon I've had to fight for. Not physically; once I get out there, I'm good. But getting up and getting dressed and getting out the door? Rough.
I am subscribed to updates from the SA RNR Marathon, and this past week, they announced that, due to the extreme heat in San Antonio in early November, they are moving the marathon to early December.
Vindication, y'all.
They are doing this at great risk to themselves as an organization, I know. The Dallas Marathon is in early December, the Houston one in mid-January and the Austin one is in mid-February.
I'm tempted to go back in 2013 and conquer the RNR. But I think I'll wait.
Until 2014. Two marathons in one year would be pretty good for a (gulp) 42-year-old, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment