Yesterday, I cried after hearing Christina Perri's song "A Thousand Years" on the radio, after looking in my rear view mirror and seeing my daughter singing along with her iPod, when I stubbed my toe lightly on the sidewalk at work, and when I read Johnny Manziel's letter declaring for the NFL Draft.
I got enraged at Top Chef when Nicholas didn't get sent home. At the people who were too noisy while they walked into Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt while I waited in the car for Katie after dance. And I silently seethed when I got to the food truck at exactly noon and my order that I had texted in an hour before wasn't ready.
And while I was waiting for my daughter to get done with her dance class, I was contemplating deferring my entry into the Houston Marathon until 2015. That's a thing; I'd have to pay another $100+ entry fee, but I could do that.
(I'm not. All it would do would be to push my anxiety a year off and that doesn't help anything or anyone in the end.)
I have to figure out a way to better manage my emotions when I don't run as much as I usually do. The past several months, I've run 60-70 miles a week, sometimes more. Twelve miles a day, Monday through Thursday, six on Friday and Sunday, and then 13-20 on Saturday.
This week, I've run six on Sunday, eight on Monday and Tuesday and six on Wednesday.
Next week will be even worse.
I have options. I can:
- Deal with the anxiety during the taper. I only run a marathon a year (although I was hoping to run a second this year), so really two weeks isn't that big of a deal. (Oh, and the few days the week after that I don't run.)
- Talk to my doctor and get medication to get me through this.
- Swear off marathons and stick to half-marathons. I don't taper for halfs. I may take the day off before a half-marathon, but I keep my mileage the rest of the week the same.
I have to decide if it's worth it. The feeling of finishing a marathon vs. the feeling of not running as much/not running at all.
I just don't know.
No comments:
Post a Comment