There are a few reasons why I have hated the treadmill in the past:
1. BORING.
2. BORING.
3. Did I mention...BORING?
Yes, there are TVs. Yes, I have an iPod. It's just awfully mind-numbing, only in a bad way. When I run outside, I usually get to a numb space, where my body is just running while my mind drifts off, but it's different. Maybe it's different because a part of me has to stay alert in case of a car or a dog or a crazy kidnapper person. Maybe it's different because I'm running truly alone.
I don't know. But I did know that I had to conquer that boredom in order to conquer the treadmill. One day, I randomly Googled "treadmill workouts" and unlocked a treasure trove of them.
Only have 45 minutes? There's a treadmill workout for you. Want to go by mileage? You can find those, too. Calories burned? Bingo.
These workouts push me to run harder and faster. They have forced me to use the incline past 1%. I leave the gym with shaking legs and sweat-soaked clothing.
And a smile on my face. :-)
---
I aim to run 40 miles a week. Most of the time, that means on Friday and Saturday, I'm putting in some long runs, just to meet my goal.
Not this week!
Thanks to my gym and the wonderful (yes, you heard me correctly) treadmill, I got in my 40th mile last night, a full two days ahead of my usual plan.
How?
Well, for starters, I had a Sunday where we didn't have a lot to do, so I got in 8 miles.
I was off on Monday, so I got in 8 then, too.
Tuesday, I went to the gym at lunch and did 5.5 miles, and then that night, I did 6 more at home.
Wednesday, I did 3 at home, and Thursday I double-dipped again, running 5 at lunch and 4.5 at the gym that night, for a total of FORTY!
I'm not going to rest on my laurels...er, butt for the next two days, but knowing that I've already made my goal puts less stress on me to make it happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment