Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Insatiable.

When you run 50+ miles a week, you are hungry every single second of every single day, just about.

When you run 50+ miles a week, you can eat anything your heart desires, just about. (I burned more than 700 calories Monday morning during my 8-miler.)

But that isn't what this is about, right? This is about making my body the healthiest and the best it possibly can be, both in and out.

And Chee-tos aren't the way, sadly.

My appetite has increased considerably in the past few weeks, due to my increase in mileage and just activity in general (some evenings after work, I literally don't sit down until 8:15 p.m.)

So, while I'm not restricting my diet as severely as I was when I was trying to lose weight, I still have to make good choices.

Luckily, I have lost what little sweet tooth I had. If  I want ice cream or a cookie, and I have it, but I really don't want that very often.

I still drink a lot of water. I aim for 100 ounces a day. I don't always make it to 100 ounces, but I get pretty darned close.

I have turned into a carb fiend (possibly because that's what my body needs to run, huh?). Before, I saw bread as a vehicle of transportation for sandwich fixings. Now, it's the main event. I have sandwiches just so I can eat bread.

Sandwiches are a fairly elaborate affair; something I didn't anticipate when I became a vegetarian. I choose awesome, bakery-made bread -- multigrain, seeded, sprouted. I slice it to the optimum thickness, and toast it. It *must* be toasted -- this is non-negotiable. I spread a little light mayo on it. Or pesto. Or hummus. Or a good grainy mustard. Then: tomatoes. I adore tomatoes. I eat them two times a day, every single day. EVERY SINGLE DAY. Grape, cherry, hothouse, heirloom...I love them. The tomatoes make up the "meat" of my sandwich, and I am not shy with them. Then...the sky's the limit. Roasted red peppers, romaine, mozzarella cheese, pickles, cucumbers -- if it's a vegetable or a cheese and it's possible to put it in a sandwich, I probably have done so.

(I just wrote a lengthy paragraph about sandwiches. Really, Beth?)

I love avocado -- again, one of those things I probably have every day. Greek yogurt -- Chobani and Siggi's, both vanilla, are my favorites -- is another thing I love. Black beans, salsa... I could go on forever..

And my sweet, precious strawberries. I have them every single morning.

The funny thing is, I still get comments from people about how I must not be eating or I must not eat much.

It all comes down to two truths: Eat less. Move more.

That's it.

1 comment:

  1. So true. You are a "mini" Michael Phelps. (I mean that in a good way!)

    ReplyDelete