I resisted at first.
I'm not typically one that goes along with the crowd. If you insist that x, y or z is the absolute best of anything, then I'm going to try to prove you wrong. It may ultimately be to my detriment, and I may cave eventually, but I'm going to try. (Just ask my husband.)
I started running in February 2005. Just me and my wiggly, jiggly thighs and butt.
And while I enjoyed the effects of running (endorphins, weight loss), I didn't really enjoy the running part.
I had heard about this iPod thing, but I didn't need one of those. I had a Sony Discman! I had a Walkman! Why would I ever in the world need an iPod?
(I am stupid.)
In March 2006, we made a pilgrimage to the holy of holies (according to my husband): Fry's. I came home with a first-generation iPod Nano, an early birthday present.
I set it up -- mainly loading it up with our collection of CDs: Madonna, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, The Police, Sting, The Cure, etc. I even bought some new music off the fancy iTunes.
The next evening, I went out to run my usual three miles (that was it, three times a week back in the day).
Five miles later, I came in the house, wishing I didn't ever have to stop.
From there, it escalated to five a few times a week, three for the other part. Then five every single day of every single week of every single month. That led to upping the ante on the weekends to 10-12.
I used that white iPod Nano every day for three years. Even when I inexplicably stopped running after my first half-marathon in January 2007, I still used it. I plugged it into my car and listened through my radio. I used it when I was cleaning house. I used it when I couldn't sleep.
In Christmas 2009, I got a fifth-generation purple Nano from Russ and the kids for Christmas. I was running intermittently then, not really committed, but not ready to give it up.
A year later, I upgraded again, to an iPod Touch. Kate got my purple Nano.
And now, I use it every single day.
When my alarm goes off at 4 every morning, I don't even have to think about what I'm doing: running shorts, sports bra, t-shirt (sometimes), Garmin, socks, shoes, iPod, outside.
Would I be as obsessed about running had not the Apple folks and Steve Jobs come up with the iPod?
Probably. I tend to do that with things -- books, movies, activities, hobbies...
But my iPod makes it so much easier, so much more enjoyable, and for that, I am thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment