Way, way, way back in 2005 when I first started this running thing, I ran every single day.
Every single day. Now if it were lightning, I didn't run. But otherwise...every single day.
I was afraid that if I took one day off, then I'd take another and another and another and another and the next thing I knew, I'd be back at 235.
(Not pretty, in case you're wondering.)
Back then, I was younger. I had small children (Kate was just FOUR!) who weren't involved in a ton of activities. I had a career with a little less responsibility than I do now.
And eventually, once I ran my half-marathon, I quit. I was burned out. I see it now; I didn't see it then.
Now, I take a rest day.
I know, I know. Better, more experienced runners than I say you should take two days off. (And I do that, sometimes.)
I don't want to burn out. I don't want to give in. I don't want to stop running. Ever.
This was my first week of the new schedule with the new off day on Thursday. And you know what I found this morning?
That taking a rest day makes me want to run even more the next day.
No comments:
Post a Comment