It seems like every time I tell someone that I run, or that I mention that I've got to get a run in today, or that I was running and that's why I didn't answer the phone, the person to whom I am speaking says, "Man, I can't do that."
Now, some of the times, they have a physical ailment that keeps them from running -- bad knees, ankles, etc. But the majority of the time, they mean that they don't have time.
To that, I say, "Bullshit."
I have two children who still need me to do things for them (not as much as I do for them, I'm sure, but still). I have a full-time job that often extends into the evening hours or weekends. I have a husband, whom I have known for 35 years and still love spending time with. I have hobbies, a house to tend to, laundry to do, a dog to deal with, etc., etc., etc., etc.
Back when I was obsessively running (I'm on the borderline now), I was also in grad school.
You make time for what you want to do. My house is not spotless. For years, I used the excuse of the kids -- "I clean, and then they just mess it up." But let's be honest here: The kids are 11 and almost 9. They're outside playing most of the time, and what messes they do make in common areas of the house are easily contained/picked up/dealt with.
I just don't like cleaning house. I don't want to clean house. I have 10,000 other things that are more exciting/stimulating/interesting that I'd rather be doing. Now, a clean house is something that is relatively necessary, so I do the minimum on most days and do crazy cleaning a few times a month, but it's just not my priority.
And that's OK.
When I became obsessed with running, I assessed my life. First, I made it as easy as possible for me to run -- I've detailed that in another post. Then, I took time away from something that I didn't care for as much as running. That was watching TV and sleeping.
My point is, if you want to do something -- if you REALLY want to do it, if you realize that you can't live without it -- YOU WILL FIND A WAY TO DO IT.
And that goes for everything, from exercising to cleaning your house to going back to school to get that degree that you didn't get when you were younger to learning a new talent or skill.
If you want to do it, you will. It's as simple as that.
An online friend of mine posted a cartoon to our message board the other day. It was a man at his doctor's appointment, and the doctor is telling him, "What fits your busy schedule better, exercising one hour a day or being dead 24 hours a day?"
A bit dramatic, but it's drama I can agree with.
---
My 11-year-old son and I are going to run the local running club's Turkey Trot tomorrow morning. I've run it before, but this is the first year that Kyle will be there with me. The weight loss is great (20 pounds and counting), but this is really what it is all about: Introducing my children to something that no one can ever take away from them.
I have the time because I already work out for an hour a day. How would I start running? I have a dog that is completely ready to help me.
ReplyDeleteGirl, just put on your shoes and go! I started out by running two minutes, walking a minute, five times. I did that for a week and then I increased it to three minutes running, one walking. You can do it!
ReplyDeleteMy mom used to say that education was the thing that no one could ever take away from you; RIP Mom. I guess education about fitness is the same thing. You're making me think I should set a goal of doing the h.s. turkey trot next year. They make all the ms kids do it as a preview race on the last day of school b4 TG already, so, she's ready. I just need to get ready.
ReplyDelete