Thursday, November 11, 2010

Running saves my soul, every day

I'm sorry I've been away. I went on a business trip and then there was daylight savings time and then some crises, both major and minor. So I haven't been writing.

But I have been running.

I am an emotional eater. If I'm happy, I eat. If I'm sad, I eat. If I'm stressed, I eat. If I happen to be any combination of the two (or three), I am out of control.

I'm not sure why I turn to food in times of extreme emotion. Food wasn't a panacea in my house growing up. We weren't rewarded for good behavior or good grades with food. We had food. We ate it. We had a lot of fresh vegetables; my dad had a garden for most of my growing-up years. It wasn't like we were eating Twinkies and Coke 24-7.

Despite the fact that I have had a busy, trying week, my eating has not gotten out of control. Instead of taking it to the kitchen, I've been taking it to the road.

This past Friday night, I was exhausted and hungry. I had been on the road most of the day, driving to Austin and then once I was there, taking advantage of the stores we don't have locally. One thing led to another and then it was 7:30 p.m., and I hadn't eaten since about 2.

Driving back to the hotel, I saw a Mexican restaurant. Mexican food is my weakness, but I was starving, so I turned into the parking lot.

And I was told they didn't serve parties of one on the weekends. I went to my car and I cried. Everything, all of the sudden, was just TOO MUCH.

I pulled myself together, drove a little ways farther and found a Mexican restaurant that was more than happy to serve me. I ate reasonably and drove back to the hotel.

I was still despondent. You don't go from a busy, loud house to complete silence without feeling ... lost.

I knew where I could find myself again. I put on my running clothes and went down to the fitness room. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment