Ninety-eight percent of running is mental. It's not necessarily who has the strongest muscles or the best shoes or the least body fat. It's about who has the will.
It happens in the head, not the legs.
When I first started running, three miles might as well have been 30 miles. It seemed like it took me forever to finish. And then I started running five or six miles at a time. Well, three miles seemed like three seconds, and the longer runs seemed like an eternity.
Now that I'm running six miles regularly, it's like nothing.
And my 15-milers are rapidly becoming walks in the park. In my head, I think of it as running five miles, three times in a row.
Yes, it's the same thing as running 15 miles. But my head likes the idea of running three five-milers. I guess the smaller number makes me feel more confident.
Either way, my 15-mile run was not a big deal this morning. No huffing or puffing, no aches or pains, groans or gripes.
Next week: I'm going up to 20.
No comments:
Post a Comment