The best way to rekindle my fire for running (or anything) is to tell me that I can't do it.
If there's no way on earth that I possibly can run, then that is what I want to do most in the world.
I didn't run yesterday. Not because it was my scheduled off day or because I was overly tired or anything, but because I had a minor medical procedure done yesterday morning. I couldn't eat until after it was over, so I didn't want to wear my body out by running.
And then later that day, even though I felt absolutely awesome, I didn't run because I knew that I probably shouldn't.
This morning, though, I ran. I ran hard and fast and joyfully.
---
This is the TMI part.
It's not too TMI, but it may be stuff you just don't want to know about.
Here's your last warning...
.
.
.
The procedure I had yesterday was an endometrial ablation. Basically, my GYN cauterized (a fancy word for "burned") the inside of my uterus.
The result should be NO MORE PERIODS. None. Zip. Zero. Zilch. Nada.
My periods have never been a source of joy or anything like that. They've always be very irregular, very messy and very painful.
I put up with it when I was a teen because I didn't know any better.
I put up with it when I was in my 20s because I wanted to have babies and I knew that having a period at least was part of the deal.
And for a brief four or five years during my 30s, everything was good. It was regular, it wasn't too bad or painful.
And then I turned 37 and all hell broke loose. I'd have three periods in a month. I'd be incapacitated. I'd have to change clothes.
And I decided that enough was enough. I have been suffering through this in one way or another for 27 years. That's more than long enough.
I'm done having babies. I will not carry or give birth to another child again. Ever. Even if I were to divorce my husband tomorrow and marry a 24-year-old man who wanted children...well, he'd be out of luck. We could adopt, but I AM NOT HAVING ANOTHER CHILD.
So I started the lengthy process of getting something done. First, my GYN put me back on the Pill.
That didn't work.
So he sent me for bloodwork. Everything came back just fine and dandy.
He did an endometrial biopsy. Women of the world: This is not fun.
It came back absolutely normal.
So his assumption was that it's my age that is causing this turmoil. He gave me options:
- Have an IUD inserted. The ones they make now release hormones that either stop or lessen the menstrual flow.
- Endometrial ablation. There are two cons to this. First, it's not permanent. I may have to have it done again in 5 or so years. Second, because I am fairly young to have this procedure done, it may not do away with my periods altogether, but it will improve them considerably.
- Hysterectomy, either laparascopic or the full abdominal surgery.
I chose the ablation. I thought I wanted a hysterectomy until he offered it to me. Then I realized that although I do not want any more children, I'm not ready to give up my uterus just yet. Intellectually, I know that having a uterus isn't what defines me as a woman, but emotionally... Plus, the recovery time that comes with a hysterectomy would not be conducive to my running.
The procedure took zero time, I was awake and alert almost immediately, and while there was some initial cramping, I was up to 100 percent by 5 p.m. yesterday. I cooked supper and did some laundry!
And I got up at 4:15 this morning and ran six miles (much to my husband's dismay).
If you're reading this, and you're having difficult periods, there is an option that is fairly easy and painless and will disrupt your life very little.
You don't have to suffer.
No comments:
Post a Comment