Monday, March 7, 2011

Leap of Faith

This is how crazy-insane running makes you: Yesterday afternoon, I very casually put a two-piece bathing suit in my shopping cart on a Web site and then I BOUGHT IT.

People, this is HUGE.

Russ and I decided yesterday that we're going to take the kids to The Bahamas on vacation this year. We haven't booked it yet, but that's where we're going -- to the Atlantis resort that looks so beautiful and amazing. The kids and I are going to get our passports this week. My old bathing suit is way too big, so that's when the madness occurred.

The last time I remember wearing a two-piece bathing suit, I was 13. We went to Holly Beach with some of my mom's friends for the day.

I was THIRTEEN; that was TWENTY-SIX years ago. That's way too long to be ashamed of your own body.

I often wonder what happened at 13.5 or 14 or whenever it was around that time that I decided to cover everything up. I didn't really start having a weight problem until I was out of college.

(This is why I allow Miss Katie to wear two-piece bathing suits that are age-appropriate. I'm not going to beat down that confidence or devil-may-care attitude she has going about herself. And trust me, girlfriend has a HEALTHY self-image!)

This bathing suit I ordered isn't racy or skimpy. It's on the "tame" side as far as two-piece bathing suits go. It will show my midriff; you know, where I carried those two 6-pound people for nine months each. 

But what this bathing suit represents is faith. Faith that I am going to do this. Faith that I AM doing this. The last time I lost the initial 100 pounds, I ran a half-marathon and then stopped running.

This lime-green two-piece bathing suit is my reason to keep on going. My reason to keep racking up the miles. My reason to stick with my trainer, even when he is pushing me beyond anything I thought I could do.

---

I ran three miles yesterday in sub-10-minute miles. This is a huge victory for me, since I've been struggling to get 12-minute miles on my long runs. I just ran the three, saving my legs for Saturday. I'll run three or four tonight, three or four Tuesday and three or four on Wednesday. Then I'm done running until Saturday.

It's going to be rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment