On Saturday, while I was running 12 miles in that miserable cold windy weather, I promised myself that if I'd just do the 12 miles, I could stop and get a non-fat mocha at Starbucks afterward.
I didn't do it that day because I was worried about time, but I did get on on the way to the grocery store the next day.
Some days, that's how I keep myself going, with promises.
"Come on, Beth. If you just run one more mile, you can have a Diet Dr. Pepper when you get in the house."
"Just listen to this one song by John Mayer and then you can skip over a bunch of songs until you get to Vampire Weekend."
And so on.
I'm pretty pumped about The Gusher tomorrow, so I don't *need* a promise to keep me going, but I have a plan already:
Tomorrow, after I've completed the half-marathon, after I've hobbled to my car, after I've showered and eaten something, I am going to get a pedicure.
My poor feet deserve it after all I put them through -- with the running and the high heels four days a week.
---
The first half-marathon I ran, The Chevron Half-Marathon in Houston in 2007, I was terrified.
I went by myself. I had never run one of these "fancy" races before. I don't think I had ever driven to Houston by myself before. It was a weekend full of new experiences.
One of the things that made it all easier for me was the spectators as I ran along the course. Our names were printed on our race bibs, so it wasn't unusual to hear a "Go Beth, go!" or "You can do it, Beth!" as I ran.
Some people carried signs, cheering us on. One I *still* remember in particular read, "Running: Cheaper than therapy."
Around mile 9, I started to falter, started to doubt that I would ever finish the race. The cheers of the spectators kept me going, kept me faithful to myself and my goals.
If you have time tomorrow, come on out and cheer on the runners at The Gusher. You can sit along MLK or you can gather at Crockett Street, the Beaumont Public Library, City Hall.
It could make such a difference to one of the runners who may be almost ready to give up.
---
I'm hoping for Gusher PR tomorrow of less than 3 hours. I finished it in just over 3 hours last year and that was without extensive running/training and with 20+ extra pounds.
If I can finish it in less than 2.5 hours, I will be thrilled. Beyond thrilled. OVER THE MOON happy.
I'll probably blog in the morning before I leave and of course, you will get all the details once I get settled tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment