Monday, March 21, 2011

My fortieth year is going to be great!

Today is my 39th birthday, so it's really the beginning of my 40th year.

I'm totally OK with that.

I went to see my gynecologist today for my yearly well-woman check. Don't worry; I'm not going to get into any sort of gory details.

Except for this:

When I got pregnant with Kyle, I hadn't actually laid eyes on my gynecologist. I had been seeing a different one and he was dropped from my insurance. I had been to the new office for a check-up, but I saw the nurse practitioner.

In the weeks leading up to my first prenatal appointment, I heard horror stories from all kinds of people. No specifics, just a general dislike of the doctor. I was nervous.

I met him, and immediately liked and trusted him. I felt like he had my and my baby's best interest at heart. He didn't dance around issues. He was a straight talker. I knew that if he thought I was doing anything that would harm my baby, he would tell me right away.

I think that straight talk is what made so many people dislike him. He told me, straight-up, that if I didn't stay at a healthy weight after Kyle was born, then I could expect to develop diabetes. He told me, while I was trying (and failing) to get pregnant with Katie, that it was my weight that was holding me back.

And, after I developed insulin-dependent gestational diabetes and unpredictable high blood pressure while pregnant with Katie, he told me point-blank that I should stop after her birth. That I should consider myself lucky to have two healthy babies. He also told me that I needed to seriously watch my weight.

So it was with a certain amount of excitement that I anticipated today's visit.

You see, at my last yearly check -- in early March 2010 -- I weighed 152 pounds.

Today, I weighed in at 115 pounds.

He was amazed and pleased. He said that whatever I am doing, to keep on doing it.

I told him that I am a vegetarian. I asked if that was a problem. He said that if I came in, looking haggard, with balding patches or thinning hair, he would be concerned.

But, since I look happy and healthy with a full head of thick hair -- not a problem. :-)

---

It's been a great birthday. I got a new bead for my Pandora bracelet from Russ and the kids (who totally were NOT supposed to get me a birthday gift). I got flowers delivered to me at work from my BFF.

And I ran, five miles. God willing, I'll still be running on my 40th birthday and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment