I took a rest day this morning from running. Typically, Sundays are the only day I don't run, but I felt like I needed it this morning.
I have to remember that I ran 26.2 miles just 11 days ago. And while technically, I feel normal, it's OK to take an extra day every once in a while. I'll get to run more than normal over the next two weeks, so I'll make it up eventually.
I do have an ache on the top of my left foot. If I'm wearing shoes -- any shoes: heels, boots, tennis shoes -- it doesn't hurt. But if I'm walking around my house barefooted, it does.
The second toenail on my right foot is a goner. It was sore the day after the marathon, and while it doesn't hurt any more, it's purple, purple, purple. (Not the entire toe, but just the toenail.)
So no pedicures for me for the foreseeable future.
---
I was kind of nervous about getting back to running regularly this week. I'm not sure why. I guess maybe I thought some previously unknown health issue was going to pop up, or that I was going to ruin my legs or knees by running a week out from the marathon.
But my daily runs have been good. Reassuring. And after 26.2 miles, six miles seems like nothing.
---
I got my photos in the mail on Saturday. I was shocked to see that I am smiling as I cross the finish line. Russ says it's the smile of a crazy person, but I know the truth.
It's the smile of accomplishment and relief.

No comments:
Post a Comment