Saturday, July 30, 2011

The worst part

I ran 15 miles this morning in less than 3 hours, which is respectable. I burned more than 1,100 calories, according to my Garmin, which is awesome.

I don't find running long distances that difficult. I'm not a speed demon, obviously, but the idea of running 15 or 20 miles isn't daunting to me, nor is the actual act of running hard. For whatever reason, my body is built for distance, and the fact that I'm stubborn times a million doesn't hurt.

But the part I absolutely HATE about running long distances?

Stopping.

That's when the aches and pains really start.

After I ran the Houston half-marathon in 2007, I hobbled from the finish line inside to get my finisher t-shirt. The volunteer reminded me that there was a free meal, and pointed to a far corner of the convention center where there was a line.

I decided to hobble to my car, instead.

I'm sure the aches and pains are there during the run. I'm just so zoned out or focused in that I don't feel them. But when I stop, well, that's ALL I feel.

---

I've been looking forward to my runs these past few weeks because I found new music.

My new singing boyfriend (as opposed to my advertising boyfriend Don Draper from Mad Men, my vampire boyfriend Eric Northman from True Blood, and my Food Network boyfriend Aaron Sanchez) is Matt Nathanson. He had a hit a few years ago with "Come On Get Higher," but mainly he just makes and plays music he likes.

I bought a couple of singles at first, then his latest album, then his album before that, and then an earlier album still. I haven't been disappointed yet.

---

And finally, to ESPN: I am incensed about your newest online venture, espnW, which you bill as an online destination for women sports fans and athletes.

Really? This is 2011 and you think THIS is a good idea?

Why can't women athletes who are accomplished get coverage on your main page? Why can women who are interested in sports read your main page? Why are you separating us?

I was one of the first subscribers to your magazine and I subscribe to it still. I listen regularly to your talk radio. I watch your TV channels. I visit your Web site.

No more. No more. If I and my gender aren't good enough to grace your regular pages, then I sure as shit am not going to give you my money, my attention, my numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment