When I was a little girl, an aunt and uncle gave me a copy of Little Women for Christmas one year.
I loved books already, and that particular one was a fast favorite. I couldn't picture everything they described, and the idea of a boy named "Laurie" tickled me, but I loved it immediately.
There was a character named Beth! (OK. She was frail and sickly and SPOILER ALERT she died, but a character with MY NAME!!!)
I wanted to be Jo when I grew up. When Russ and I were dating, I dragged him to see the Winona Ryder/Susan Sarandon version of "Little Women." As we were leaving, I sighed that I always wanted to be Jo. Russ looked at me and said, "I think you are Jo."
And so, Dear Reader, I married him. :-)
Anyway, there's a scene where Jo is discussing a woman's right to vote and makes a compelling argument. The man to whom she is speaking says, "You should have been a lawyer, Miss March."
And Jo replies, "I should have been a great many things, Mr. Mayer."
"I should have been a great many things."
I read something online a week or so ago that brought this scene back to memory.
It sparked something in me: My goal in this crazy, hectic life of mine is to take out the "should." I want to be "a great many things"!
Have I done that? Eh...sorta.
But now, I am determined. And as my husband and children can tell you, when I am determined, get out of my way.
And this morning, when I woke up my Katie-Bug, I told her -- in all her drooly, snuggly-sleepy state -- that she is a great many things.
I hope she heard me.
No comments:
Post a Comment