Sunday, June 19, 2011

And on Sunday...

I rested. Not because I'm like God or anything, absolutely NOT.

Just because it seemed like the thing to do. I did run 12 miles yesterday. I have to be mindful to balance my desperate NEED to run with a practicalness of giving my body a rest every now and then.

Today seemed to be a good day for it. So I slept in until 7.

---

So today is Father's Day, and I have to say that my kids have a pretty great one.

When I was pregnant with Kyle, Russ read to my belly every single day. I worked nights for most of the pregnancy, so he'd read when he woke up. Or he'd be awake when I got home. I'd doze as much as I could with a kicking baby inside me, and Russ would read.

"The Lorax" was a favorite of his and of the baby. Kyle would twist and turn, almost like he was arching his body to get closer to that voice.

My favorite picture of the day Kyle was born is one of Russ holding him -- it had to be literally MINUTES after he was born. Kyle is all swaddled up, his face still swollen from being born, and Russ is talking to him.

The look on Kyle's face is amazing...almost like he's thinking, "OHHHHH, so that's who has been reading to me this whole time. That's my dad."

---

Katie Michele has had her daddy wrapped around her little finger since before she was born.

I had been adamant about not letting her sleep with us. Kyle had slept with us for about six months and that was a nightmare. I was not going to repeat that with Katie.

One night when she was tiny, I had put her to bed in the bassinet in our bedroom, and then went back into the kitchen to do the million things I needed to do. Russ went to bed, eventually, and I followed about 45 minutes later...

to find my husband and my daughter, just snoozing away in our bed. Both with the same expressions on their sleeping faces.

I woke Russ up, Why was Kate in our bed? Had she woken up when he came in there? Was she crying?

No, he said. "She just looked so sweet sleeping in her crib that I wanted to snuggle with her."

And that was that.

No comments:

Post a Comment