Thursday, December 23, 2010

100 minutes.

That's how long it took me to run seven miles at the Gulf Terrace Hike and Bike Trail yesterday afternoon. That's a little more than a 14-minute mile.

I'm not happy with that pace. At that pace, a half-marathon would take me a little more than 3 hours.

Not acceptable.

In 2007, I ran the Houston Half in 2 hours, 24 minutes. In 2010, I ran The Gusher Half in a little more than 3 hours (and that's without a lot of consistent running).

I'm planning on running The Gusher Half in March again, and I want to be back around the 2-hour mark.

So there's that.

The Hike and Bike Trail is a little too far for me to go for everyday, but for once-a-week, long, soul-cleansing runs, it's perfect.

---

Yesterday, I started off my run and about a mile into it, I passed another female runner. She was carrying a can of mace or pepper spray or something.

The trail is secluded. The only people around are other runners, bike-riders or walkers. The soccer fields are right there, but unless it's a Saturday, there aren't going to be too many people there.

I don't think about stuff like that. I feel safe here, where I grew up and where I'm raising my children. Maybe I'm stupid for feeling that way, but I do.

I run at night in my neighborhood. I get asked a lot, "Aren't you scared? Do you carry something with you?"

No. It's my neighborhood, for goodness' sakes. There may be some people who live lives that I don't personally approve of, but they keep to themselves.

I guess a drifter with blood lust could waltz into the neighborhood and take me out one night, but I can't live my life with "coulds." I refuse to do that.

Shakespeare wrote in "Julius Caesar" that

Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once.
Of all the wonders that I yet have heard.
It seems to me most strange that men should fear;
Seeing that death, a necessary end,
Will come when it will come.

I'm not going to deliberately put myself in situations that are dangerous.

Running on a secluded trail? Yes. Running on a secluded trail with lit dynamite strapped to my back? No.

Do I have a death wish? No. I have lots of plans for my life. I have kids to raise, books to read.

Am I going to stop living my life because I'm afraid? Hell, no.

One extra thing that I often lose when I lose weight is my give-a-damn.

I'm going to run. And I don't give a damn if it's at night or during the day or at a secluded trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment