My baby girl Katie will be 9 (gasp) in just 16 days.
I remember when she was born. She was about three weeks early and she was so very tiny -- just a little over 6 pounds. She was long, which made her look even skinnier. It seemed like she stayed so tiny for weeks -- there was an outfit that I tried on her single day that was too big and then all of the sudden, it was too small. I should have known that was a harbinger for things to come.
Katie is tall.
She is almost as tall as her older brother and me. She is as tall or taller than her speech therapist at school, her two grandmothers, a co-worker of mine. There is a girl in the neighborhood who is a year older than Katie, and Miss K towers over her.
I know that girls on average have a difficult time with body images. I am only imagining what is to come with Katie, with the height added into the mix.
So I take care of the nomenclature that I use in regards to my body, to my weight loss.
I'm not getting "skinny"; I'm getting "healthy." I'm not dieting; I'm eating foods that are better for my body.
It is difficult because I have my own body image issues, my own demons to battle.
When I tuck Kate into bed every night, after I kiss her goodnight, I whisper into her ear, "You are smart. You are beautiful. You are the most awesome girl I know."
And she always giggles and says, "I know."
I hope she really does know.
No comments:
Post a Comment