Monday, December 20, 2010

Progress by the numbers.

Weight lost (since Sept. 25): 29 pounds (161 to 132 as of this morning).

Clothes sizes down: five (from a 14 to a 6 -- I am wearing a skirt to work today that's a 6!)

Number of days/nights spent running: 52 (That's an estimate. I know for sure I was running on Oct. 31, because I blogged about it, but I'm pretty sure I had been running for a week or so at that point.)

Miles ran: About 170. (Again, an estimate because the miles vary.)

Arguments, stresses that were defused because I ran them out: About 8.

Running tights purchased: 1 pair, although I see more in my future!

Attitude (on a scale from 1-10, with 10 being the best): 10!!

Energy (on a scale from 1-10 with 10 being the best): 10!!

I'll say that's progress!

---

Over the past three days, I ran 14 miles. I have shaved a minute off my 5-mile time, which is just about 12 minutes over my best time back in the day.

A few years ago when I was running steadily, I could run 5K in 23 minutes. I ran the Houston Half Marathon in 2 hours, 24 minutes; I had wanted to beat 2 hours and 30 minutes, so I was happy with that time.

I am not a fast runner, by any means -- I have to WORK for that -- and it frustrates me. I'm built more for long distances, not for short sprints.

To get faster, I play mind games and make rules for my runs. My run is basically broken up into laps, since each lap around my neighborhood is a half-mile.

On the first lap, I have to run slowly and I can think about anything at all. Anything in the universe -- ANYTHING!

On the second lap, I have to clear my mind and run faster. The key is clearing my mind. I think that when it's cluttered with stuff -- work, kids, books, random thoughts -- it slows me down. When you think about it, running is about getting rid of the clutter -- you wear the least amount of clothing you can, and the lightest shoes that work for you. It only makes sense that you'd also get rid of the mental weight, too.

On the third lap, I run faster. The fourth lap, I give myself a break -- I can return to thinking about stuff and back down a bit on the speed, and then I go back to running faster.

And so on until I've finished my mileage.

It seems complicated and I'm some of you are thinking, "Beth, just freaking run faster." I can't do that. Even though I love running and it makes me happy, my mind still thinks that I can't do this, that I shouldn't be out there -- a 38-year-old woman who is not athletic should not be running -- so I have to trick it.

Luckily, I'm an easy mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment