I had a cookie yesterday. A bigger-than-normal chocolate chip cookie. We had a potluck at work and I managed to eat the meal part sensibly, so I decided to get a dessert.
And, unlike the mouse in the book "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie...," I did not go insane and start demanding things. I also did not go on a wild sugar spree, as I feared.
I ate the cookie, appreciated the cookie, had a slight sugar rush from eating the cookie...and then went back to my usual thing.
I ran three miles last night, and this morning, I was at the same weight I was yesterday (I'm showing a one-pound loss).
I'm hoping this shows that I'm learning how to deal with food. My personality is not one of moderation. I like to call myself "Extreme Girl."
If I'm happy, I'm the happiest person in the universe. If I'm sad, I'm the saddest person in the universe.
And previously, if I were going to eat sweets, then I was going to eat the hell out of those sweets. Maybe yesterday proved I'm moving beyond that.
---
I was in my office yesterday afternoon and an advertising sales rep stopped by to bring me a holiday gift. This is a woman I've talked to three or four times in the past three months. She's always come to my office, sat down in my chairs and we've talked. I've bought advertising in her publication a couple of times and we're friendly.
So yesterday, she peeked into my office and said, "Oh, I'm sorry. This isn't Beth's office anymore? Is she here today?"
Now, obviously, I am Beth, so I was puzzled and asked her to repeat her question. She did, saying just about the same thing.
When I told her that I am Beth, she was shocked. "But you look really different," she said. "Have you changed your hair or something?"
No, I've just dropped the equivalent of a 2- or 3-year-old in weight.
---
Today will be a struggle to get my run in, but I am going to do it. I work for the Lamar Institute of Technology, and tonight is our fall commencement. I have to attend because I am part of the executive administration.
I'll admit that I LOVE attending graduation. I remember all too well those days of working my rear end off and the sweetness of walking across the platform and getting that diploma. Also, I get to wear my academic regalia -- I earned my master's degree a year ago -- and I love that.
Anyway, after graduation, I have a few errands to run, so it will be 9 p.m. or later before I'm home. But I'm still going to run.
I am still going to run.
No comments:
Post a Comment